For the avoidance of doubt, the following documents cannot be accepted:
- An Irish passport which has expired by more than 12 months.
- Non-Irish passports or national ID cards which have expired
- GNIB cards are not acceptable as photo I.D. (but are acceptable as evidence of residency entitlement for non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens)
- A GNIB cannot be accepted without a current passport
- Photocopies of photographic ID documents are not acceptable College IDs & Garda Age cards are not acceptable as primary identity documents
- Employer IDs are not acceptable as primary identity documents, including where the employer is a state agency e.g. Army I.D., Garda I.D.
- Short form birth certificates
- Baptismal certificates
- A birth/adoption certificate not issued by General Register Office (GRO) in Ireland/UK
- Religious/ Church marriage certificates are not acceptable
- Marriage certificates cannot be accepted as proof of address
- Laminated marriage certificates are not acceptable
- Any Deed poll documents which are not executed in Ireland & enrolled in the Irish High Court
- Laminated free travel pass as proof of identity
- Driver Theory Test Certificates cannot be used as either proof of address or PPSN
- Mobile phones bills cannot be used as proof of address
- Statements from store cards/catalogue companies cannot be used as proof of address
- Proof of address which is dated more than 6 months prior to the date of application
- Personal correspondence as proof of address
- Handwritten letters are not acceptable as proof of address
- Temporary Travel Certificates
Please note this list is not exhaustive and will be reviewed regularly.
To review the list of acceptable documents please click here.
Is my Proof of Address acceptable?
The Address on the application form must match exactly the address on the Proof of Address presented. Please check your proof of address before you present to NDLS to ensure that the details match exactly to that of your actual address. Often, utility bills and other forms of proof of address are presented to NDLS where there are misspellings or mismatching information. Even though, this may seem like a minor error, it cannot be accepted by NDLS and may lead to your application being rejected. Please see below examples of Non-Acceptable and Acceptable Proof of Address.